Even if you've never baked your own bread before, we're pretty sure you can impress your family with this recipe.
This no-knead loaf has a super short ingredient list — you might even have everything you need in your pantry already!
Simply combine everything in a large bowl, leave to rise overnight, and bake the next day. No mess and no dirty hands required!
To be honest, the hardest part about baking this aromatic loaf is having enough self-control to not devour it in one sitting.
Best enjoyed with plenty of butter and your favourite company.
Makes 1 loaf.
You'll also need a cast iron pot with a lid that goes in the oven.
- 3/4 tsp dried yeast
- 300g water
- 200g plain flour
- 200g wholemeal flour (or, stick to plain flour)
- 1 tsp salt
- Stir together ingredients — it's supposed to be quite sticky. Cover with cling wrap and leave in a large bowl on the kitchen counter overnight. 18 to 20 hours is best.
- Sprinkle a little plain flour onto a clean kitchen counter. Pour the dough onto the flour, and fold it over itself 3-4 times. Don't knead it. Cover it with cling wrap and leave for another 1-2 hours at room temperature.
- Add a lidded, empty cast iron pot into an oven. Preheat the oven and the pot to 250ºC.
- Remove the pot from the oven once warm (be careful!). Place the dough into the hot pot, place the lid on top, and return to oven. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the lid from the pot in the oven. Keep baking the bread in the pot for another 10-15 minutes or until it's golden on top.
- Once baked, remove the bread loaf from the pot and let cool.