Less waste, more candy! Use leftover orange peels to make a sweet treat.
All you need is three ingredients: orange peels, sugar, and water. Easy!
These candied orange peels are chewy, sweet, and citrusy. Plus, when making them, you end up with a thick orange syrup, great for drinks and desserts!
There are countless ways to enjoy them. Here are some of our favourites:
- Chopped and sprinkled onto homebaked pound cake
- Chopped and used in sweet scones
- On crackers with cheese
- On homemade chocolate treats
- In brownies (or blondies)
- In almond biscotti
- Diced and added onto yoghurt or oatmeal
- In homemade trail mix
Curious to try it out? Here's how!
Ingredients, 1 large jar:
- Cleaned peels from 3 oranges
- 1 cup sugar (plus more for rolling)
- Thinly slice orange peels.
- Cover with water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse.
- Return peels to the saucepan, along with 2 cups water and 1 cup sugar. Simmer over low heat for 30-35 minutes, or until they look slightly translucent and soft. The syrup will have thickened, too.
- Remove using tongs or a slotted spoon and leave to dry and cool on a clean oven rack for at least a couple of hours. (Reserve the leftover orange syrup to enjoy later with cheese or yoghurt!)
- Toss the orange peels with sugar.
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge for up to a few weeks.