Chilled apple pie soup? Yes, it’s a thing and it’s delicious!
This unique creation comes from Suppa Club - creators of our favourite soups, made fresh each week right here in Fremantle. We just love how the warm flavours of stewed apples, infused with cinnamon and clove, pair with this simple vegan coconut & oat cake - fresh from the oven.
Enjoy for dessert or afternoon tea! Don’t feel like baking? The Apple Pie Soup is also super delicious on it’s own with a sprinkle of granola!
(Makes one 8-inch cake, serves 6)
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (we used coconut sugar)
- 1/2 tsp bicarb soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup (190ml) coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 jar Suppa Club Chilled Apple Pie Soup
- Ice cream to serve (optional but encouraged!)
Notes: We used a square 8-inch cake tin to bake the cake. Use gluten-free baking powder and gluten-free oats if preferred.
- Preheat oven to 180ºC.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, bicarb soda, baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl.
- In a seperate bowl, whisk together coconut milk, oil, apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract.
- Add wet ingredients to the large bowl with dry ingredients and whisk together until combined. Fold in rolled oats and coconut.
- Pour cake batter into a lined cake tin (8-inch square) and bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through (to check, insert a toothpick or skewer into the centre of the cake. It will come out clean when the cake is cooked through.) Remove from oven and leave to cool.
- Slice cake and pour over apple soup and serve with ice cream.
Want to make this at home? We used TCC Coconut Milk, Melrose Organic Coconut Oil, Dirty Clean Food Single Origin Rolled Oats, and Suppa Club Chilled Apple Pie Soup from the Dinner Twist Marketplace.