Stop by Denmark and you may get offered this delicious traditional apple dessert. And if you're not headed north, here's a recipe so you can make it yourself!
The dessert features homemade apple compote, served in layers with whipped cream and a crunchy homemade granola topping.
It's simple, made with real ingredients, and the perfect after-dinner treat for the holidays.
What you'll need
Makes 6-8 serves.
Ingredients for the compote:
Ingredients for the granola:
- 1 kg red apples
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 50g sugar (or more to taste)
- optional: a dash of vanilla extract
Ingredients for serving:
- 100g hazelnuts or almonds
- 100g rolled oats
- 50g maple syrup
- 50g salted butter (or coconut oil for a vegan option)
- 1 cup whipping cream (alternatively, coconut yoghurt for a vegan option)
How to make it
- Peel and dice apples. Add to a saucepan with the water, cinnamon and sugar. Simmer for 20 minutes, semi-covered, until apples are tender.
- Mash the apples using a potato masher. Place in the fridge to cool.
- Roughly chop hazelnuts. Add to a frypan with butter, syrup, oats and a pinch of salt. Toast on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden. Remove to a shallow tray to cool.
- Whip cream (or use coconut yoghurt for a vegan version).
- Assemble the dessert; add a layer of apple sauce, then hazelnut crumble, and top with cream/yoghurt.
Want to make this at home? We used red apples, Cape Farm almonds, Dirty Clean Food single-origin rolled oats, Bannister Down fresh cream, Cocome natural coconut yoghurt, Raw Food Factory organic maple syrup and Organic Times Organic Salted Butter from the Dinner Twist Marketplace.