Seasonal strawberries truly shine in this recipe, and we bet you'll come back for seconds!
By oven-roasting strawberries with maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, (vegan) butter and fresh rosemary, you end up with a decadent sauce.
Try pairing the strawberries with these egg-and butter-free pancakes that are perfectly light, fluffy and vegan-friendly! (If preferred, you can instead mix up a batch of your favourite non-vegan pancakes).
Ready to get cooking? We sure are!
Ingredients, pancakes for 4 people:
Ingredients, strawberry sauce:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or another type of sugar to your preference)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups plant-based milk (we used oat)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 500g fresh strawberries
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (or coconut oil in a pinch)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Turn the oven to 200ºC.
- Wash strawberries and remove green tops. Cut into halves.
- Toss berries in a lined oven dish with balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, chopped rosemary, melted butter and salt. Bake for 20–25 minutes or until berries have softened and syrup has thickened.
- Meanwhile, whisk together dry pancake ingredients in a large bowl; flour, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt. Then, whisk in apple cider vinegar and milk.
- Heat a large frypan (ideally non-stick) over medium-high heat. Add vegan butter or coconut oil, then add 1/3 cup-sized portions of the pancake batter.
- Cook pancakes for 1–3 minutes on each side, until slightly golden and cooked through.
- Serve pancakes in stacks topped with roasted strawberries and their sauce.
Want to make this at home? We used fresh, WA-local strawberries, Community Co balsamic vinegar, and organic maple syrup from the Dinner Twist Marketplace.