Cosy up and stay warm with this healthy slow cooked lentil and veggie soup!
Chop all your veggies and add them to the slow cooker in the morning. Come home at the end of the day and be greeted with the homely aroma of this wholesome and delicious soup! For extra indulgence, serve with a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt and with some crusty bread on the side.
If you don’t have a slow cooker you can cook this in a large saucepan or heavy base pan instead. Simmer over medium-high heat for 30 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through and lentils are broken down.
Makes 3-4 serves. You'll need a slow cooker.
From your pantry:
- Seasonal soup kit (or 1 brown onion, 2 celery sticks, 1 carrot, 2 parsnips, 1 turnip, 2 potatoes and 2 bay leaves)
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock paste (or 1 stock cube)
- 200g red lentils
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- 2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano (or dried herb of choice)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Chop onion, celery, carrot, parsnips, turnip and potatoes.
- Add vegetables to a slow cooker along with bay leaves.
- Stir in 1 tbsp vegetable stock paste, 2 tsp ground paprika, 2 tsp dried oregano and 2 tbsp tomato paste.
- Pour in lentils and 1.5L water. Cover with a lid and cook on the high heat setting on the slow cooker for 6 hours.
- Season soup with 1 tbsp vinegar (or use lemon juice) and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yoghurt on top and garnish with fresh herbs such as sliced chives, oregano or parsley.
Want to make this at home? We used the Seasonal Soup Kit and Urban Forager Veggie Stock Paste from the Dinner Twist Marketplace and recommend serving with Abhi's sourdough rolls!