Classic shepherd’s pie with robust flavours of rosemary, leek and celery.
Cooked and finished in the frypan with golden sunshine mash.
30 MINS - SERVES 4.
400g pumpkin, peeled & diced
600g lamb mince
1 leek or brown onion
2 celery sticks
2 tbsp tomato paste (1 sachet)
400g crushed tomatoes
1 bunch broccolini
From your pantry:
oil, salt, pepper, dried rosemary (use fresh if you have in your garden!)
This recipe is Gluten-free.
Make this recipe Vegetarian / Vegan:
Substitute lamb mince for 2 x 400g tinned lentils
(increase seasoning to taste) and use olive oil for the mash.
Substitute lamb for beef mince if you prefer.
1. Set oven (grill) to 220°C.
2. Dice potatoes, place in a saucepan and cover with water.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 10-12 minutes, adding diced pumpkin halfway.
3. Heat a large (ovenproof if you have) frypan over medium-high heat.
Add lamb mince to brown and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Season with 1-2 tsp rosemary, salt and pepper.
4. Chop leek and celery, grate carrot. Add to pan as you go.
Stir in tomato paste, crushed tomatoes and 1/3 tin water.
Simmer for 8-10 minutes (uncovered), or until thickened.
5. Drain potatoes and pumpkin,
mash with 2 tbsp butter or olive oil to desired consistency.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Spread mash on top of meat sauce in the frypan.
Bake for 6-7 minutes in the oven, or until golden.
7. Trim broccolini and cook in a pan with 3 tbsp water and a drizzle of olive oil,
covered, for 2-3 minutes.
8. Serve shepherds pie with a side of broccolini.
If you don’t have an ovenproof frypan,
transfer meat sauce into a baking dish and top with mash.
Sprinkle some grated cheese on top if you like!