Do you struggle to find inspiration for breakfast and seem to always settle for sugary cereals or even worse, skip breakfast altogether? Our conventional wisdom tells us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but it is also the most frequently skipped meal! People who eat breakfast are less likely to overeat during the day and tend to make better food choices so I’m arming you with some simple, super healthy breakfast options to choose from!
My 8 foolproof breakie options:
1. Scrambled eggs: this is literally the fastest, most nutrient dense breakfast you could start with! Take two eggs, scrambled with chopped spinach, cherry tomatoes and fresh chives! It takes two minutes to cook and is faster to eat than cereal.
2. Chia pudding: ¼ cup chia seeds, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 tspn honey – mix together well and set in the fridge overnight. Top with nuts and seeds and fresh berries!
3. Strawberry and banana smoothie: Use one frozen banana and ½ cup of frozen strawberries blended with 1 ½ cups of milk (almond, coconut or dairy).
4. Zucchini cakes: Grate 1-2 zucchinis and try squeeze out the excess liquid, add a chopped onion and beaten egg and fry on low-medium heat until you’ve browned both sides!
5. Banana pancakes: The kids will love this one! This is officially the worlds simplest pancake recipe. Simply mash two ripe bananas in a bowl and mix in one egg. Fry in a pan with some coconut oil on a low heat and add your favourite toppings like blueberries or maple syrup! They can take a bit longer to cook than regular pancakes and you may want to add a little bit of almond meal or coconut flour to thicken if you wish.
6. Homemade granola: Mix 1½ cups of your favourite nuts (I prefer almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts), roughly chopped, with a good sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg and some coconut oil. Spread over a tray with some coconut oil and bake 30 mins. Once cooled, add some cranberries or a few chopped dates and enjoy with some natural yoghurt and fresh berries! This makes a few serves so don’t forget to store this in an airtight container or enjoy as a mid afternoon snack!
7. Sweet potato toast with salmon and avocado: Sweet potato toast is my new favourite breakie go-to! Simply finely slice sweet potato and place in the toaster or sandwich press and cook until warm throughout and slightly crispy. It can take a bit of patience getting used to the right cooking time but once you have it’s well worth it! Top with your greens and protein!
8. Pumpkin fritters: similar to the zucchini cakes but very different flavour! Grate enough pumpkin to make 2-3 fritters, add some onion, paprika, chilli and a beaten egg and fry or grill to your preferred consistency. Serve with fresh rocket and some goats cheese, yum!
For more inspiration, flick through our Tip of the Week recipes, where you will find a number of delicious breakfast ideas to add to your list. Here are a few listed below: