1 brown onion 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (in oil) 1 red apple 1 bunch baby carrots 3 purple carrots 2 tomatoes 1 Lebanese cucumber 1 small lettuce (of choice) 4 beef burger patties 4 wholemeal round bread rolls
From your pantry: oil, salt and pepper, sugar (of choice), red wine vinegar, ground cinnamon
Make this recipe Gluten-free by serving the beef patties in iceberg lettuce leaves instead of in bread rolls, alternatively roast more root veggies and serve as an open burger with a side of root veggies chips.
Make this recipe Vegetarian / Vegan by substituting beef burger patties with large field mushrooms, pan-fried halloumi and lentil/bean patties.
1. Set oven to 220°C Chop onion and sun-dried tomatoes, grate apple. Add to a saucepan with oil, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp vinegar and 1/3 cup water. Simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, or until thickened.
2. Trim baby carrots (halve lager ones if needed) and cut purple carrots into sticks. Toss with oil and salt on a lined oven tray. Roast for 20 minutes, or until tender.
3. Slice tomatoes and cucumber, separate lettuce leaves. Arrange on a plate.
4. Heat a large frypan over medium-high heat (alternatively cook on the barbecue). Rub patties with oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked to your liking.
5. Warm rolls in the oven or in a dry pan for 3-4 minutes (optional).
6. Season the chutney to taste with salt and pepper. Assemble burgers at the table with chutney and fresh ingredients. Serve with carrot chips and any favourite sauce for dipping.