Crush garlic and zest lime, combine with 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp fish (or soy) sauce and 1 tbsp oil. Season with pepper and toss with the beef strips, set aside.
2. Combine 1/3 cup sweet chilli sauce with lime juice and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl. Place at the table.
3. Add noodles to boiling water and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked al dente. Drain and rinse in cold water. Toss in a serving bowl with 1 tbsp oil (see notes).
4. Slice cucumber and capsicum, julienne carrots and shred lettuce. Roughly chop (or crush) cashew nuts and pick mint leaves (tear any larger ones). Arrange on a large platter and place at the table.
5. Heat a large wok or frypan over high heat (see notes). Add 1/2 tbsp oil and cook beef, in two batches, until browned and cooked to your liking.
6. Take everything to the table and let everyone assemble their own bowl with noodles, beef, vegetables and dressing. Top with cashew nuts and mint leaves.
We used sesame oil for this dish but peanut or a neutral oil works fine too!
Ensure your frypan is very hot prior to adding beef strips. This is to ensure they brown and do not stew in the pan.
If you want a warmer dish, stir-fry the carrot and capsicum too! You can even add the noodles and sauce to warm through.
Beef strips 600g
Rice stick noodles 1 packet (375g)
Continental Cucumber 1/2
Yellow capsicum 1
Baby cos Lettuce 1
Cashew nuts 1/2 packet (30g)
Mint 1/3 bunch
From your pantry:
sesame oil (optional, see notes), pepper, fish or soy sauce, sugar (of choice), sweet chilli sauce