2. Chop lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and capsicum. Toss in a serving bowl (see notes).
3. Combine beef mince with crushed garlic, 1 tbsp chopped parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well and form into 12 meatballs using a 1/4 cup measurement and wet (or oiled) hands (see notes).
4. Heat a large frypan with 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Cook meatballs, turning, for 8-10 minutes, or until browned and just cooked through. Set aside on a plate, keep pan over medium heat.
5. Add 60g butter and once foaming, whisk in 3 tbsp flour. Slowly pour in 2 cups water, whisking. Add 1 crumbled stock cube. Simmer until thickened, add 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp vinegar, season to taste with salt and pepper. Return meatballs to pan with gravy.
6. Serve meatballs and gravy with potatoes and salad. Scatter with more parsley to taste.
Use hot water from kettle to cover potatoes to bring to the boil quicker.
Dress salad just prior to serving with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tbsp vinegar.
Roll meatballs into desired size. Use wet or oiled hands to ensure the mixture doesn’t stick to your hands.
Prepare ahead: roll meatballs and blanch for 3 minutes in boiling stock. They are now partially cooked and should hold their shape. When ready, cook in pan until golden.
festival lettuce 1
lebanese cucumber 1
yellow capsicum 1
beef mince 600g
garlic 1 clove
parsley 1/2 bunch
From you pantry:
oil + butter (for cooking), salt, pepper, flour (plain), stock cube (of choice), soy sauce, white wine vinegar