2. Add 1/2 tbsp oil to frypan. Halve tomatoes and add as you go along with 2 crushed garlic cloves. Cook for 5 minutes, or until blistered then remove from pan.
3. Quarter eggplant lengthways and roughly slash flesh. Coat with 3 tsp cumin, 1/2 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Heat frypan over high heat, pour in 1 cup water. Place eggplant cut-side down. Cover and cook for 10 minutes. Remove to a chopping board.
4. Rub steaks with 1/2 tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat BBQ or griddle pan to high heat. Cook steaks for 4-6 minutes on each side, or to your liking. Set aside on a plate to rest.
5. Whisk together 2 tbsp vinegar and 1/4 cup olive oil to make dressing. Chop eggplant and toss with half the dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss remaining dressing through baby leaves.
6. Divide eggplant and tomatoes between plates and top with sliced steaks. Garnish with sliced basil leaves (to taste) and toasted almonds. Serve with a side of dressed leaves.
If preferred, the skin of the eggplant can be peeled off before it’s chopped and dressed.
Cherry tomatoes 1 punnet (400g)
garlic 2 cloves
Bolar blade steaks 800g
Baby leaves & beetroot 2/3 bag (120g)
basil 1/3 bunch
From your pantry:
oil (for cooking + olive), salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, ground cumin