Gluten-friendly option: pearl barley is replaced with buckwheat.
2. Place barley in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender but still firm.
3. Chop basil leaves. Whisk with 2 tbsp balsamic and 1/3 cup olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Deseed and slice capsicum, slice strawberries and avocado. Roughly chop almonds.
5. Finely chop broccoli and place in a strainer. Drain cooked pearl barley through strainer. Return to pan and toss with half the dressing.
6. Layer pumpkin, pearl barley and fresh salad on plates. Spoon over remaining dressing to taste. Scatter over toasted almonds.
Draining the barley over the broccoli will heat it through.
Gluten-friendly option: pearl barley is replaced with buckwheat. Cook for the same time as pearl barley.
butternut pumpkin 1/2
pearl barley 200g
basil 1/2 bunch
green capsicum 1
strawberries 1 punnet
roasted almonds 1 packet (60g)
From your pantry:
oil (for cooking + olive), salt, pepper, dried oregano, balsamic vinegar