2. Heat a large deep pan with oil over high heat. Dice and add halloumi. Cook, stirring until golden. Remove, keeping pan over high heat.
3. Add meatballs and break up into bite sized pieces. Dice fennel (see notes) and celery sticks, add to the pan as you go (see notes). Season with 1 tsp fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
4. Pour in tinned tomatoes and 1 tin (400ml) water. Dice and add carrot, bring to the boil and simmer, covered, over medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
5. Drain barley and add straight into pan along with halloumi.
6. Adjust seasoning of the stew if needed. Serve into bowls with a side of bread to mop up the sauces.
To prepare the fennel, remove the outer layer of the bulb, cut in half and remove the core. Dice to desired size and don’t forget to add the fronds too (reserve some for garnish if you like!)
Dice vegetables and cheese according to the preferred size for your family. Younger kids might prefer smaller diced veggies while older kids and adults might prefer a more chunky stew!
No beef option - beef meatballs are replaced with chicken meatballs.
Halloumi, 1 packet
Large herb & garlic meatballs, 400g
Baby fennel, 1
Celery sticks, 2
Crushed tomatoes, 2 x 400g
Bread rolls, 2-pack
FROM YOUR PANTRY
Oil (for cooking), salt, pepper, fennel seeds