Heat a large saucepan with 1 tbsp oil. Roughly chop and add onion, celery, carrot, parsley stems (reserve leaves) and garlic as you go. Add pumpkin and sauté for 5 minutes.
2. Pour in 1L water and add stock. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until pumpkin is soft.
3. Roughly grate cheese, thinly slice ham and spring onions (see notes). Mix with 1 tbsp oil and season with pepper.
4. Slice the bread 2/3 through in a criss cross pattern. Add mixture into cuts. Wrap the bottom of the bread in baking paper / foil and cook in the oven for 10 minutes.
5. Blend the soup to desired consistency using a stick mixer. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
6. Serve soup with a side of the cheesy pull-a-part loaf. Top with finely chopped reserved parsley.
If you have any leftover ham mixture, add to soup prior to blending for an extra flavour punch!
If you prefer, serve with warm plain bread and add ham and cheese to the soup instead.
Gluten friendly option - bread is replaced with GF loaf.
No pork option - ham is replaced with turkey.
celery 2 sticks
parsley 1/2 bunch
garlic 3 cloves
diced pumpkin 1.2 kg
chicken stock 1/2 jar
cheddar cheese 1 block (150g)
spring onions 1/4 bunch
wholemeal bread loaf 1
From your pantry:
oil (for cooking), salt, pepper, baking paper or foil