2. Heat a large pan with oil over high heat. Quarter chicken thighs, add to pan as you go. Cook for 3-4 minutes to brown.
3. Slice onion (reserve 1/4 for side salad) and fennel (reserve fronds). Add to chicken with spices and stock cube. Pour in 2 cups water, bring to the boil. Cover with a lid, leave to simmer.
4. Chop silverbeet and parsley. Add to stew with kidney beans. Simmer for 10 minutes, or until reduced.
5. Chop tomatoes and cucumbers. Toss together with reserved onion.
6. Squeeze in juice from 1/2 lemon into stew, season to taste. Garnish with fennel fronds, serve with brown rice and tomato salad.
Use a heavy-based pan to cook the stew if you have.
Works well with a dollop of yoghurt if you desire.
2 tbsp oil, for cooking
600g chicken thigh fillets
1 red onion
1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 chicken stock cube
1/2 bunch silverbeet (rinsed)
3/4 bunch parsley
400g kidney beans, rinsed
1/2 punnet baby cucumbers
1/2 lemon, juice
salt and pepper, for seasoning