2. Halve eggplants lengthways. Slice diagonal cuts deep into the cut-side of flesh. Repeat in the opposite direction to make a diamond pattern. Toss with 1 tbsp oil, place face-down in a baking dish. Roast for 20 minutes.
3. Heat a large pan with 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Halve tomatoes, grate or dice zucchini. Add to pan as you go along with 1 tsp Italian herbs. Pour in passata and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Turn cooked eggplants face-up, pour over sauce. Slice mozzarella and lay on top. Return to oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
5. Rinse and tear lettuce, cut carrot into matchsticks and wedge radishes. Toss together.
6. Slice basil leaves and scatter over eggplant. Serve with wedges and side salad.
Make a quick vinaigrette for the salad if desired using 1 tbsp vinegar of choice and 2 tbsp olive oil.
Baby eggplants 3
cherry tomatoes 1 punnet
Tomato passata 1/2 jar (500ml)
Mozzarella cheese 1
Festival lettuce 1/2
Radishes 1/3 bunch
Basil 1 packet
From your pantry:
oil (for cooking), salt, pepper, dried Italian herbs