Gluten free option is to replace pearl barley with buckwheat.
2. Slash chicken and rub with 2 tsp tarragon and 1 tbsp oil. Place on a lined oven tray. Cut carrots into diagonal pieces, toss with 1/2 tbsp oil and add next to chicken. Season with salt and pepper then place in oven to roast.
3. After 15 minutes of roasting, add mushrooms to tray, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil. Roast for further 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.
4. Separate kale leaves from stems. Chop leaves and rosemary leaves, crush garlic. Heat a frypan over medium heat with 1 tbsp oil. Add kale, rosemary and garlic to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until wilted.
5. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1 tbsp butter and cooked pearl barley. Toss to heat through, season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Divide barley mixture between plates. Slice chicken and place on top along with mushrooms and carrots. Crumble over goats cheese to taste and season with extra pepper to serve.
Slashing the chicken will decrease cooking time in the oven and allow more surface area for seasonings.
Reserve kale stems and add to your green juice!
Gluten-friendly option - replacement is buckwheat Place buckwheat in a saucepan with plenty of water, simmer for 15 minutes or until tender but still firm. Drain and rinse in cold water.
pearl barley 1 packet (200g)
chicken breast fillets 600g
portobello mushrooms 4
kale 1 bunch
rosemary 1 sprig
goats cheese 1 packet
From your pantry:
oil + butter (for cooking), salt, pepper, dried tarragon, garlic (1 clove)