2. Place barley in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until tender but still firm. Drain and rinse briefly.
3. Peel and finely chop shallots. Sauté in a small pan with 2 tbsp olive oil for 2 minutes over medium heat. Add 1/2 tsp cumin then transfer to a bowl. Add yoghurt, 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley, 1 tsp white wine vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.
4. Roughly grate halloumi and chop spring onions. Combine with zucchini, crushed garlic, 1 egg and 150g flour. Season with salt and pepper. Form into 8 patties. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frypan over medium heat and cook fritters until golden on both sides.
5. Slice apple and halve cherry tomatoes. Toss with rinsed lettuce leaves and chick pea sprouts. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/2 tbsp vinegar.
6. Serve haloumi fritters with barley, sauce and salad.
When cooking the patties, be sure they are well cooked before turning, keep the heat to medium to allow them to cook through without burning.
pearl barley 250g
ground cumin 1/2 tsp
natural yoghurt 200ml
parsley 1/2 packet
white wine vinegar 1tsp
halloumi 1 packet
spring onions 1/4 bunch
garlic cloves 2
cherry tomatoes 1 punnet
mixed leaves 60g
chick pea sprouts 1/2 punnet
vinegar of choice 1/2 tbsp
From your pantry: Oil, salt & pepper.