2. Cut broccoli into small florets. Cut eggplants into similar-sized pieces. Halve beans and slice spring onions into 3cm pieces (thinly slice some tops for garnishing). Slice garlic, peel and grate ginger. Set aside.
3. Combine 1 tsp five spice, 1 tbsp cornflour, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce, 1/2 tbsp vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water. Stir until there are no lumps.
4. Heat a frypan or wok over medium-high heat with 1 tbsp oil. Add broccoli, eggplant, spring onions, garlic and ginger. Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in green beans.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Pour sauce into pan and simmer for 3 minutes, or until thickened. Drain bamboo shoots and stir through with cashews.
6. Season stir fry with soy sauce to taste and cracked black pepper. Garnish with remaining spring onions. Serve with a side of rice.
Silken tofu pairs well with this dish! Add to the sauce when it’s simmering and break apart with a spoon.
Baby eggplants 2
Green beans 1/2 punnet (125g)
spring onions 1/2 bunch
Garlic 2 cloves
Bamboo shoots 225g
Cashews 2/3 packet (60g)
From your pantry:
oil (for cooking), pepper, Chinese five spice, cornflour, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce