2. Combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp five spice, 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp cornflour in a bowl. Season with pepper.
3. Wedge red onion and keep separate. Trim and halve sugar snaps and chop baby corn, cut capsicum into strips.
4. Toss beef strips with 1 tbsp oil (see notes) and 1 tsp five spice.
Heat a large pan over high heat. Cook beef, in two batches, for 2 minutes, or until browned. Set aside on a plate as you go. Keep pan over medium heat.
5. Add red onion and cook for 2 minutes then add remaining vegetables and cook for a further 1-2 minutes. Add sauce and stir until thickened. Add beef and adjust seasoning to taste with pepper and soy sauce.
6. Serve beef stir-fry over rice and top with fried shallot and sesame seed mixture.
We used sesame oil for this dish but peanut or coconut would also work well.
Make sure your pan or wok is really hot before adding the beef to ensure it browns and not stews. Cook in 2-3 batches depending on the size of the pan.
red onion 1/2
sugar snaps 1/2 punnet
baby corn 1 punnet
red capsicum 1
beef strips 600g
fried shallot + sesame seed mix 40g
From your pantry:
oil for cooking, pepper, five spice, soy sauce, sugar (brown), cornflour