2. Finely slice fennel bulb (reserve the fronds). Peel and slice orange and grapefruit. Finely slice chilli, mint and 1/4 onion. Keep separate.
3. Remove corn kernels from cob into a large bowl. Dice remaining 1/4 onion, grate carrot and add with almond meal to bowl. Stir in 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp dried thyme, salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp oil and mix well with hands until it reaches a sticky consistency (see notes).
4. Heat a frypan over medium heat and cover surface with oil. Spoon out 1/4 cup fulls of mixture into the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through. Cook in batches if needed.
5. Layer the fennel and rice on a platter. Drizzle over 3 tbsp vinegar and 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange citrus slices, onion, chilli and mint over top. Garnish with reserved fennel fronds.
6. Serve salad at the table with corn fritters on the side (see notes).
Use hands to really compact the fritter mixture when combining. This will help them hold shape. Add more oil if needed.
Sweeten the salad with sugar if needed, as sometimes grapefruit can vary in sweetness. Serve the fritters with any leftover cashew sour cream from the sweet potato nachos!
green chilli 1
mint 2/3 bunch
Red onion 1/2
Corn cobs 2
almond meal 1 packet (100g)
From your pantry:
oil (for cooking + olive), salt, pepper, red wine vinegar, smoked paprika, dried thyme