2. Chop onion, peel and grate ginger. Slice lemongrass and lime leaves. Place in a food processor with 2 tsp curry powder and 1/4 cup oil (see notes). Process until smooth. Cook paste in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Pour in coconut milk, simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Julienne cucumber and carrots (or cut into matchsticks). Toss with 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tbsp oil.
4. Toast desiccated coconut in dry frypan over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to curry sauce and turn off heat. Add zest and juice from 1/2 lime. Season to taste with a pinch of sugar (1/2 tsp) and soy sauce, reserve pan.
5. Reheat frypan over medium-high heat. Coat steaks with 1 tbsp oil, 1/2 tbsp soy sauce and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, or to your liking.
6. Thickly slice beef steaks, pour over sauce and serve with rice and salad. Scatter with coriander leaves and serve with remaining lime cut into wedges.
Use coconut, peanut or rice bran oil if possible to give the paste a more authentic flavour.
Add coriander stems and roots to the paste.
brown onion 1/2
kaffir lime leaves 2
coconut milk 400ml
Continental cucumber 1
dessicated coconut 1 packet (50g)
Beef rump steaks 600g
coriander 1/2 packet
From your pantry:
oil (for cooking), soy sauce, pepper, red wine vinegar, sugar, curry powder