Gluten friendly option - pearl barley is replaced with brown rice.
2. Trim and halve snow peas and baby cucumbers, thinly slice spring onions and cut cherry tomatoes in half. Set aside.
3. Blend avocado with juice from 1/4 lemon, 2 tbsp olive oil and crushed garlic using a stick mixer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Heat a large griddle or frypan over high heat. Brush steaks with oil, 1 tsp oregano, salt and pepper. Cook in pan for 1 minute on each side (in batches) or to your liking. Set aside.
5. Combine 2 tbsp olive oil, juice from remaining 1/4 lemon, 1/2 tsp honey and chopped basil leaves from 1/2 packet. Toss with barley mix and season to taste with salt and pepper. Layer with fresh vegetables on a platter and scatter with remaining basil leaves and olives.
6. Serve charred scallopini with barley salad and avocado cream.
Add 1 tsp ground cumin to the avocado cream. You can also mix through some yoghurt or sour cream for a milder flavour.
Cook barley ahead to make it a super quick dish!
Gluten friendly option - pearl barley is replaced with brown rice and lentil mix.
snow peas 1/2 punnet
baby cucumbers 1/2 punnet
spring onions 1/4 bunch
cherry tomatoes 1 punnet
garlic 1 clove (small)
beef scallopini 10-pack
basil 1 packet
sicilian olives 1/2 tub
From your pantry:
olive + oil (for cooking), salt, pepper, dried oregano, honey