Place diced potato in a saucepan, cover with hot water and simmer for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and return to pot.
2. Heat a large frypan with oil over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to your liking. Set aside on a plate, keep pan over medium heat.
3. Halve and slice red onion (see notes), add to pan with 2 tbsp water, 2 tbsp butter, salt and caramelised balsamic dressing. Cook, stirring occasionally for 7-8 minutes until caramelised.
4. Chop cucumber and halve tomatoes. Toss with mesclun leaves in a bowl and place at the table (see notes).
5. Mash potatoes with 2-3 tbsp butter and sliced spring onions (see notes). Season well with salt and pepper. Place at the table.
6. Slice steaks and add to pan with onion (including resting juices), turn to coat. Season well to taste with salt and pepper. Serve at the table with mash and salad.
Use a mandolin to quickly slice onion.
Dress salad with olive oil if desired.
You can use olive oil or mayonnaise instead of butter for the mash if preferred. Place spring onions in a separate bowl if not liked by all family members. We used white pepper to season the mash.
beef rump steaks 600g
red onion 1
caramelised balsamic dressing 1 sachet
continental cucumber 1
cherry tomatoes 1 punnet
mesclun leaves 1 bag (120g)
spring onions 1/4 bunch
From your pantry:
oil + butter (for cooking), salt, pepper