2. Slash the lamb 4-5 times, halfway through. Rub with oil, crushed garlic, thyme leaves from 1/2 packet, salt and pepper. Place in a lined oven dish, roast in the top part of the oven for 20-25 minutes (see notes), see step 5.
3. Heat a small saucepan with oil/butter over medium heat. Dice and add onion to pan, cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
4. Add stock, remaining thyme (see notes), 1 cup water and 1/2 tbsp soy sauce to saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Mix 3 tsp cornflour with 2 tbsp water, add to pan and stir until thickened. Take off heat.
5. Take the lamb out of the oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Cut the broccoli into florets of desired size. Add to a frypan with 1/4 cup water and 1/2 tbsp oil/butter. Steam, covered, over medium heat for 3 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
6. Add pan juices from the lamb to the gravy. Slice meat, arrange on a serving platter and spoon over the gravy. Serve with roasted root vegetables and steamed broccoli.
If using an oven thermometer, take the lamb out of the oven when the temperature is 55ºC for medium.
Don’t worry about chopping the thyme for the gravy, just add in the sprigs whole and then remove just prior to serving.
No lamb option - butterflied lamb is replaced with chicken breast fillets. Brown in a frypan and finish for the last 10-15 minutes in the oven.
Butterflied lamb, 700g
Garlic, 2 cloves
Thyme, 1 packet
Brown onion, 1/2 *
Chicken stock paste, 1/2 jar *
Broccoli, 1/2 *
FROM YOUR PANTRY
Oil/butter (for cooking), salt, pepper, cornflour, soy sauce