Gluten free option is brown rice.
2. Heat a casserole pan with 1 tbsp oil over high heat. Add beef mince and cook for 5 minutes, or until browned, breaking up lumps with a wooden spoon.
3. Slice spring onions, celery and carrot. Trim and dice fennel. Add to pan as you go along with crushed garlic and stripped rosemary leaves. Cook for further 3 minutes, or until softened.
4. Add in crushed tomatoes, 2 tins water (800ml) and stock cube. Bring to the boil and simmer, semi-covered, over high heat for 10 minutes. Chop and add beans and barley, cook for further 3 minutes, uncovered, or until reduced. Season with salt and pepper.
5. In a serving bowl, combine 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tbsp vinegar, 1 tsp mustard and 1 tsp honey. Toss in mixed leaves.
6. Serve beef and barley stew topped with chopped parsley and with a side of leaves.
If you’re not short on time, add barley straight to the stew and simmer the stew, covered, for 30 minutes, or until barley is tender. Add more water if needed.
Gluten-friendly option - replacement is brown rice. Cook as per recipe instructions, but with more water and drain.
pearl barley 250g
beef mince 600g
spring onions 1/2 bunch
celery 2 sticks
baby fennel 1
garlic 2 cloves
rosemary 1/2 sprig
crushed tomatoes 400g
Green beans 100g
mixed leaves 1 bag (120g)
parsley 1/2 packet
From your pantry:
olive + oil (for cooking), salt, pepper, 1 chicken stock cube, vinegar (of choice), wholegrain mustard, honey