2. Peel and slice 2 garlic cloves, wedge onion. Trim and halve green beans lengthways and cut capsicum into strips.
3. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large wok or frypan over high heat. Cook beef strips in batches for 1-2 minutes, or until browned. Set aside on a plate as you go, keep pan over medium heat.
4. Heat another 1 tbsp oil in the pan, add onion and cook for 1 minute, then add 1/2-1 tsp cracked pepper (use to taste), and sliced garlic. Cook for a further 1 minute, or until fragrant.
5. Return beef to the pan along with green beans, capsicum, 1/2 chicken stock cube, 2 tbsp oyster sauce and 1/4 cup water, then cook for 3 minutes.
6. Pick basil leaves and thinly slice chilli. Serve beef stir-fry over rice topped with snow pea sprouts. Scatter with basil leaves, peanuts and chilli to serve.
Keep chilli on the side for the kids and deseed if you want less heat.
Depending on the brand of oyster sauce you use, the saltiness can vary. Balance flavour with 1-2 tsp white wine vinegar or a squeeze of lime if needed. We recommend purchasing an oyster sauce from the Asian grocer with a ‘clean’ ingredient list, alternatively we have found the ‘Ayam” brand to be the better one from the supermarket.
red onion 1
green beans 1 punnet (250g)
yellow capsicum 1
beef strips 600g
basil 1/2 packet
red chilli 1
snow pea sprouts 1/2 punnet
From your pantry:
neutral oil (for cooking), cracked pepper, garlic (2 cloves), oyster sauce, chicken stock cube (1/2)