2. Heat a second frypan over medium heat. Add almonds and toast for 2-3 minutes until golden. Remove from pan.
3. Halve or quarter eggplants lengthways. Coat with 1 tsp Italian herbs, 1 tbsp oil, salt and pepper. Place in pan cut side down. Add 1/3 cup water, cover and cook for 10 minutes until cooked through.
4. Heat a saucepan over medium-high heat with 2 tbsp olive oil. Dice and add onion as you go. Cook for 5 minutes until softened.
5. Add crushed garlic, tinned and fresh tomatoes. Stir in 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional) and 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar. Cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Place eggplants in serving dish and pour over arrabiata sauce. Top with rocket leaves, drizzle over balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Scatter over toasted nuts and serve with vegetable hash.
The root vegetables can also be diced and roasted in the oven instead along with the eggplant halves.
Thyme, 1/2 packet *
Flaked almonds, 1/2 packet (30g) *
Small eggplants, 500g
Brown onion, 1
Garlic, 2 cloves
Cherry tomatoes, 1 bag (200g)
Tinned cherry tomatoes, 400g
Rocket leaves, 1/2 bag (100g) *
FROM YOUR PANTRY
Oil (for cooking + olive), salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, dried Italian herbs, chilli flakes (optional), sugar (of choice)